Danish Foods You Should Try if You Ever Come to Denmark

Danish food is TOTALLY underrated! Some of the meals and treats here I have tried have changed my outlook on everything edible. It makes me wonder why we barely (if we even do) have any Danish cuisine in the states. I thought I would try to change that, and give you all a list of some Danish foods that I will definitely be talking about when I return to America!

1) Risengrød

This is quite a plain tasting dish on its own, so it's usually sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar and butter. (When I heard that for the first time- I decided I loved it already...) Its a porridge rice boiled with sweet milk. So simple, yet so yummy. It is kind of like a dessert food, but my host family has taught me well that you can eat risengrød any time of day! (In this picture, this was breakfast) Though be careful when you have it because it's the kind of food that sits in your stomach and makes you feel like bursting after eating only half of your portion... If you've ever tried Danish risengrød, I can pretty much guarantee you have felt this sensation. You want to eat more, but you just can't overload your stomach any longer. One bowl feels like more than enough!

Dyrlægensnatmad 
2) Rugbrød and Leverpostej

Rugbrød is basically Denmark's special bread. It's quite popular in Denmark as a lunch food (along with toppings of course) It's really dark, dense, it contains assorted seeds, and has a sharp tangy flavor to it. I see it eaten by my friends at lunch every day! Topped with leverpostej (liver) is a very common way to see rugbrød, and it actually tastes quite good! It might not be the prettiest one on the list, but don't judge a book by its cover!

3) Marabou Chocolate Bars

Once I tasted Marabou chocolate I could never eat a Hershey's bar again without dreaming of Marabou. It tastes like real chocolate. They come in these huge packages, bigger than a "King Size Hershey". Even though they're not actually Danish, they're still extremely popular among Danish people. My friends and I will go to the candy store by our school and buy a Marabou chocolate bar to share! Since I've tried the chocolate in Denmark, I can now never go back.


4) Hindbærsnitter

Hindbærsnitter is my all time FAVORITE pastry. It is like a Poptart but 10,000,000x better. When you bite into it, it will melt in your mouth with delectable tastes of cake, jam, sugar glaze, and sprinkles. If you ever find yourself in Denmark, hindbærsnitter is a MUST EAT. I can promise you that this heavenly pastry can change the life of anybody with a sweet tooth.

5) Flødeboller

Do you like marshmallow? Chocolate? Cookie? Cute decorations on your dessert? Well, come to Denmark. Flødeboller is the combination of all of those in one dessert. They're often brought to birthdays and parties, and they're also available in pretty much every store and bakery. When I was over at a friends house one day, I made the fløderboller that is featured in the photo to the right. We first made a marzipan cookie and baked those as we created the marshmallow filling and put them into pipes. Once the cookies were baked and cooled, we piped the filling onto the cookie and dipped it into chocolate. We decorated the tops with edible gold dust, and dried berries. We brought them to school the next day, and they were a big hit among our classmates!

If the Danish food post is a success, I can do a second one! I already have some more foods I can talk about... so if you liked reading about these, you can expect another post similar in the future! Thank you so much for the UNBELIEVABLE amount of attention to my blog. I am seriously speechless. I will try my best to write more often! It seems that people from all over have seemed to take a liking to the last post! Again, thank you so much!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Things Danes do that Most Americans Don't

Doing Your Sport in Abroad- Riding Horses in Denmark!