Introductions and Explanations

Hello, I am Maria, I am 15 years old and I am creating this blog to tell about my experiences while studying abroad in Denmark! I am originally from the United States, but now I will be in Denmark for a half year through Greenheart Travel. I will be blogging all about Denmark, being an exchange student, and just my daily happenings.

I am currently living in a small town called Store Merløse in Sjælland, which is the eastern section of Denmark. I go to school not too far away from where I live, in Tølløse. In my small town, I stay with a host family consisting of a father, mother, an 11 year old daughter, and a 13 year old son. It really is a pleasant family. We get along wonderfully! We live on a farm with 2 goats, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, and a dog. The animals are all very friendly, and I really enjoy taking part in caring for them. It is similar to how I do it in the states! There, I have even more animals than in Denmark, so it's quite an easy routine for me, haha! Getting used to living with my Danish host family has been quite easy, as everything has gone so smoothly. I am a month into my exchange and I am feeling like I have been here forever!

What you're probably asking is.. "Why Denmark?"

Well, let me explain...

Early in 2017, I decided that being an exchange student was something I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to go to Scandinavia... specifically Norway because I have family there. Before I made my final decision that I wanted Norway, my family and I went on a trip going to Norway and Denmark.

This trip went up the west coast of Norway including Bergen, Stavanger, Ålesund, and into the Geiranger Fjord. I got a chance to explore Oslo as well, and visit family living in Kragerø for a week! The Denmark part of the trip was only in Copenhagen, but I still fell in love with both countries. The Scandinavian beauty and charm TOTALLY won me over. When I got home, I knew for sure I was making a right decision.

With my application in for Norway, picking up basic Norwegian, watching Norwegian movies, hanging up Norwegian flags in my room while playing Norwegian music and wearing my Norwegian flag hoodie, I thought I was all set... until one day that changed everything.

I got a call from Greenheart Travel saying that I COULDN'T go to Norway... now, this was the most devastating news at the time because I thought that my whole trip was canceled. I had already arranged with my school that I was going, meetings about class credits, learning Norwegian, and totally investing myself in learning EVERYTHING about the country. It then really felt like it was all for nothing.

With my hysterical crying, I couldn't really hear what the coordinator was saying on the phone. If I were her, I would hate to be calling me at that moment. My mom was holding the phone and speaking to her as I was burying my face in my hands trying to block the noise as much as possible. One of my life dreams had just been shut down in a matter of seconds, and I was NOT okay.

After I had gotten over the initial shock, I asked her if there were any other options for me to go to Norway or Europe at all during the same time I had originally planned. She told me that I still could do a high school exchange, but it couldn't be Norway. The options she said were best, were Sweden, Austria, or Denmark.

As soon as I saw the word "Denmark" I jumped on that opportunity like white on rice. I knew it wasn't Norway, but it still would be a life changing experience.

The thing I've learned about travel is that it rarely goes the way you planned it... there are always different opportunities and adventures. I say to myself all of the time "What if I did go to Norway? I never would have met all of these amazing people I am lucky to call my friends". I think this crazy situation happened for a reason. I am grateful for it, even though it seemed so devastating at the time I told it wouldn't be Norway.

Here I am in Denmark, as happy as can be, with wonderful friends, family, animals, and opportunities learning about one of the most underrated cultures ever. Denmark is such a hidden gem, and I am happy to have been led right to it!

If you have any comments or requests for me to write about things... I will! I will also continue to write on my own, as it is good for me to record things for my own entertainment. I just thought I could share it with others as well! :) I hope you enjoyed reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things Danes do that Most Americans Don't

Danish Foods You Should Try if You Ever Come to Denmark

Doing Your Sport in Abroad- Riding Horses in Denmark!